From:
Judy Genova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 22:08:21 EST
incidence of stroke,  I think we would have to factor in the frequent  use of
tobacco in their lifestyle, as well as the  consumption of white rice.  How
about other populations that eat a rice centered diet such as the Vietnamese,
the Javanese, the Bhutanese,  Sri Lankans, etc.  Do they also suffer from
strokes?

Also, do Asians living in crowded cities have a higher stroke rate than those
living in the countryside?  Doesn't stress contribute to stroke?  I would
imagine living in the squalid, cramped conditions of many Chinese cities
might be as much of a factor as eating white rice.

How about economics as a factor?  Don't poor people face more day to day
stress than those who are more comfortable?  Wouldn't a working class  Asian
father with lots of mouths to feed be under a greater stress than an Asian
businessman?   What statistics are there to compare their levels of stroke?

Hey - maybe white rice isn't a factor at all!!!

I'm not defending white rice, but I think the argument which points all
fingers at  a high carb diet are flawed.   My initial comments with regards
to the Asian eating habits  were based on  merely  going by what I see and
experience in my day to day life with respect to the various ethnic groups I
am fortunate to be surrounded by.  Not very scientific, I agree, but real
life does count for something.

 I think Amadeus tries to do the same in many of his comments.  While the
scientific papers may say one thing, there is the  person staring you in the
face who defies the "research".  I can not speak for Amadeus, but I think
that may be what he meant when he said (roughly paraphrased), "But where are
all the fat people who eat a  whole grain centered diet?"   He wasn't talking
about the "well to do"  monarchy throughout history.  He was simply stating
the glaring reality that those who eat a  whole grain based diet as opposed
to an animal based diet   tend to be svelte. He was being rhetorical.    I
seem to recall Todd Moody saying something similar about his coworkers.  They
follow the food pyramid and seem to be slim.  He follows paleolithic diet
principles, and continues to struggle with weight issues.  So which would you
choose - fat and "anthropologically correct" or thin and "agriculturally
compromised?

And just for the record, Amadeus looks pretty good, as I remember from his
photo.  But wait, is that allowed here?  To actually say a VEGETARIAN looks
healthy and fit and strong........  I can feel the list swell with rancor in
their response..

SOOOOOOO, the real issue, IMHO,  is that eating paleo, eating "Schwarzbein"
eating according to "Ray", eating in the Zone, out of the Zone or in the end
Zone, doesn't hold the key to the real mysteries of life.  Life just is, and
its us that have to fit into the  Grand Plan, not the other way around ( I
don't care how many controlled portions of  40-30-30 you eat!!)

I also have a problem with the assertion that  very young kids & babies  left
to their own, will nourish themselves perfectly.  I've seen  breast fed
toddlers,  raised on 100% natural, whole foods try to drink  kerosene, whole
pint size jars of cod liver oil,  automobile antifreeze and gnaw on the
family car keys ( AND DON"T TELL ME THE KID MUST HAVE NEEDED EXTRA MINERALS
IN HIS DIET).    Who are the people that write these books, what reality do
they occupy  and what planet to they really come from???????????????????????

Sorry to rant.

Cheers,

Judy Genova, cavegirl