From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2006 18:30:56 -0800
On Dec 2, 2006, at 2:07 PM, Carrie Coineandubh wrote:

> *** I hear this argument--milk is for baby cows (or baby whatever
> mammal). Is cow flesh custom made for humans to eat? Is honey? You
> can make the argument that humans have had a longer time to adapt
> to eating cow flesh than they have to drinking cow milk, but I
> don't really buy the argument that we shouldn't drink the milk of
> other species because it is only for babies of that species, but we
> should eat meat from other species.
>
> --Carrie

Thank you! Yes, we don't eat humans, but we drink human milk. We do
eat cows - how is their milk not part of the animal? We eat eggs;
they are designed to nourish developing chicks. There is a certain
amount of opportunism in the carnivorous side of our diet, I think.
If we ate every possible species, including fish, insects, rodents,
etc. we were probably getting exposed to a bunch of biological
products that don't occur in plain ol' steak. I wonder how foreign
any raw protein can be... Something eats every other something.

And, as far as the foreign proteins, an awful lot of the research is
done on pasteurized - in other words - denatured milk, full of not
only proteins altered by heat into indigestible reactive stuff, but
also the dead bodies of all the bacteria - beneficial and harmful -
killed by the pasteurization; the standards for dairy cows are very
lax when the milk is going to be pasteurized. I'd look at this stuff
for the allergens.

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!