From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 10:32:05 -0500
Hi Shirley:

From research on the web, I understand that the germ is removed and then
re-inroduced to the flour (reconsituted) which allows it to extend its shelf
life. The Weston Price website
(http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/wheatyindiscretions.html) mentions
that stone ground wheat is better as the process does not involve high
temperatures (which destroy nutrients).

This process
(http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3289/is_n1_v163/ai_15151620)
from 1994 probably allowed for a greater shelf-life of grains. Maybe that's
what's being used by most of the industry now - I don't know.

For optimum nutrition (if one is eating whole grains) you may want to ask
your husband to try some sprouted grain bread:
" Sprouting, soaking and genuine sourdough leavening "pre-digests" grains,
allowing the nutrients to be more easily assimilated and metabolized. This
is an age-old approach practiced in most traditional cultures. Sprouting
begins germination, which increases the enzymatic activity in foods and
inactivates substances called enzyme inhibitors.1 These enzyme inhibitors
prevent the activation of the enzymes present in the food and, therefore,
may hinder optimal digestion and absorption. Soaking neutralizes phytic
acid, a component of plant fiber found in the bran and hulls of grains,
legumes, nuts, and seeds that reduces mineral absorption.32 All of these
benefits may explain why sprouted foods are less likely to produce allergic
reactions in those who are sensitive.1

Sprouting also causes a beneficial modification of various nutritional
elements. According to research undertaken at the University of Minnesota,
sprouting increases the total nutrient density of a food. For example,
sprouted whole wheat was found to have 28 percent more thiamine (B1), 315
percent more riboflavin (B2), 66 percent more niacin (B3), 65 percent more
pantothenic acid (B5), 111 percent more biotin, 278 percent more folic acid,
and 300 percent more vitamin C than non-sprouted whole wheat. This
phenomenon is not restricted to wheat. All grains undergo this type of
quantitative and qualitative transformation. These studies also confirmed a
significant increase in enzymes, which means the nutrients are easier to
digest and absorb.33 "

So, from what I can gather, 100% whole grain bread does seem to have all its
constituent parts - endosperm, bran and germ, after they have been
reconstituted. Stone ground or sprouted is far better for him though... (I
buy frozen sprouted http://www.naturespath.com/products/breads from a local
[Ottawa, Ontario]) grocery store at ~$3.29 a loaf).

At least this intake of fibre from the bread your husband is eating is
possibly protective for coloretal cancer (according to this book I have been
reading).

Marilyn