From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2010 21:17:11 -0500
> Am wondering, how would one break an extended fast when going back
> to zero
> carb. Normally a fast is broken with an apple or potato soup, to my
> knowledge. But what if a person who normally eats a zero carb diet
> wants to
> break a fast. What is the best food to start with?

What I'm wondering is why would one want to do an extended fast in the
first place. I do a 13 or 14 hour fast every day (from dinner, through
sleep, and until breakfast), and I think that works great. But
seriously, I can see the benefit of a day or two fast once in a while,
or just having one meal a day, occasionally. But in an extended fast,
doesn't your body try to hold on to fat stores as long as it can, and
start wasting lean mass for glucose generation? Wasting lean mass is
the last thing most of us need, especially as we get older. I suspect
that the lure of extended fasting comes from a quest for some mythical
ideal of purification. It seems related to the myth of colon
cleansing, which is utter nonsense. I've seen with my own eyes what
nonsense that one is. Body cleansing and waste removal is an ongoing
process, non-stop, fasting or not.

Low-carb diet helps keep your cells clean in several ways. One way is
reducing glycation and AGE creation. Another way is what's called
"chaperone mediated autophagy" while in ketosis. Check out Eades's
interesting post on this topic here:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/ketosis-cleans-our-cells/

Hilary