From:
Liz Pavek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 12:59:16 -0500
Salmonella in eggs is actually quite rare.  If you are deeply concerned,
wash the eggs before you break them in soapy water.  Otherwise, use them as
you wish.  The vast majority of fresh modern eggs is quite safe.  In Alaska,
most grocery store eggs are over three months old, and as long as I lived
there (30 years) I never heard of a case of salmonella from eggs.

I'm inclined to think that today's human immune systems are hyper-sensitive
to pathogens, much more so than they used to be, because of the numbers and
types of broad-spectrum antibiotics we dose ourselves with at every sniffle
and exposure.  I don't recall salmonella being a big problem 30 years ago or
so.  People just got the "scoots" for a couple of days, or mild nausea.  Now
it's a big, major problem that rates air time on the news, and
hospitalization.  (Are they overreacting, or are we really sicker with it
now??)

If we were to strengthen our immune systems by allowing  ourselves to
"catch" more bugs and add antibody weapons to our immune arsenals,  we
wouldn't have to worry so much about outside "influences."    Once you begin
this process and allow contagious diseases to run their course with minimal
medication, we are "inoculated," sometimes for life.

LizP