From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:01:58 -0500
On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:44:48 -0500, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:
>
>> > Some of us just "want" too much.

>> btw. little chance to see a fat koisan, aboriginal, yanonami.

>Yes, but these hunter-gatherers seem also to be noted for low
>overall caloric intake.

But why so?
Are they starving, or do they choose to eat less *in the presence* of more
food?
If it's true that it takes only the effort of few hours to hunt annother
kangaroo or dig up some more roots, why don't they do it?

I think they simply feel energized enough,
while not  experiencing any carving for a special item.
So, why should they bother to fill the stomach with more items?
The simple act of digesting definetely takes some energy too.

>Makes sense, but then consider the Fulani, whom we read about
>recently.  Their energy intake is still low, even though their
>consumption of folic acid and B-6 (I think) was also inadequate.

Really, low folic acid in a native? ? How could be?

The RDA recommendations serve only as a rule of thumb.
Some vitamins are required proportionally to other amounts eaten.
Eating more carb requires more thiamin.
Eating generally little reduces overall thiamin need.
Eating much protein requires more b6 than less protein.
Some vitamins are synthesized by a healthy gut flora (e.g. b2).

>Your view is the same as that of the Multi-Diet author
>(http://www.multi-diet.com).  It's reasonable.  It makes me
>wonder, then, what nutrients I might be missing.

I think it's a complex game to think about.
Complexer than ordinary linear programming problems.
There are more factors like psychic customs, food volume,
antinutrients, distortions by artificial flavors, stimulants etc which make
it impossible to give a general rule.
However I have confidence that a *real* paleo diet thould supply at.

But like you I am wondering what might be missing at some times (when I tend
to gain).
Now, eating a lot of these dense caloric, fatty avocadoes, I lost a little
(I'm 70kg and had 76 as lifetime maximum).
I used the program just to get an implession what *might* be low.
And realized that nearly nothing was low and most really high (>150%).
Not from pills, from food only.

regards,

Amadeus