From:
Mary French <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 17:28:53 -0800
I'm curious how much of modern hunter/gatherer diets include starchy tubers; most of the ones I am familiar with in the Amazon basin cultivate some variety of cassava or manioc...
 Theola Walden Baker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> But the mostly used tuber food there is "fou-fou" a dough-like
> patty made from cassava.

Cassava isn't native to Africa. It's a New World food that was imported
there (along with potato) from the Americas during the very early slave
trade era. It requires much processing to be made edible/nutritious--i.e.,
get rid of the cyanogenic glucosides and phytates.

It's thought-provoking how many truly "marginal" foods throughout the world
have become redistributed and are now considered staples.

Theola