From:
Theta Sigma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 14:14:24 -0800
Esben wrote:
>Does anyone have any comments / experience  on eating bee-pollen ?

 >Gives me more energy - helps me be more clear-headed.  Think of it as a
food rather than as a supplement.

>Any recipes with bee-pollen as an ingredient ?

 >I love it in milk/cream/eggs/fruit(optional) smoothies or egg-nog
recipes.  Can be sprinkled on papaya eaten with a spoon (try a little lime
juice).  Blending in a smoothy smooths out the bumpiness.  Raw, unheated
honey often contains bee pollen, bee parts, bee propolis, etc. (floats to
the top)  This is the best type of honey and is better, by far, than any
that has been heated and strained for "purity"

>Can it be cooked ?  -  can you make a hot drink with it ?

 >I wouldn't heat it at all.  That might destroy some/all of the benefits.

>How is it best stored (in the refrigerator?)

 >Vacuum container is best.  I like the "Vacu-Vin" containers found in such
places as Amazon.com.  Air will slowly oxidize the pollen.  Yes - sealed in
the refrigerator if not in a vacuum container.

>What do you think of the many alleged health benifits ?

 >I agree with most claims.  Here is good reading material:
http://www.garynull.com/Documents/Arthritis/bee_pollen.htm
However, I do not agree with the author that the pollen should be frozen at
the collection site, etc.  Plain pollen with no processing is nature's
way.  It can degrade quickly so best to find it locally in your area.  Make
arrangements with a local, organic [land] bee-keeper.

>Can it be harmful in any way ? (allergy, digestability?, toxicity?)

 >I am not familiar with any negative effects.  I wouldn't not mix it with
vegetables since it has a lot of protein.  If digestion is weak then it may
sit "heavy" in the stomach.

Get pollen from specially recommended suppliers.  These are folks who sell
raw, unheated honey made from organic land.  There are special pollen traps
at the entrances of their hives.  You would not want, for example, to eat
pollen from non-organic land.  I prefer "wet" pollen over dried as it will
not have been heated during the drying process.  It sort of sticks together
unless pushed apart.  Sorry - I get mine from a local, private co-op and I
do not know where they get it from.  I can ask if there is interest.
-=mark=-