From:
Gregg Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 16:47:35 -0400
Todd-- Thanks for your thoughtful reply:

> It seems to me that if you are going to eat grains for this
> purpose, the safer and simpler means would simply be to eat some
> cooked basmati rice.  Rice, unlike the other grains, doesn't have
> to be ground to be edible; it just has to be cooked, so there
> would have been a longer time for adaptation.  Basmati rice
> supposedly has the lowest glycemic index.  Quinoa is botanically
> a fruit and not a grain at all, but I'm not sure how this affects
> its impact on the immune system.

I was going to drop the millet after I saw its very high glycemic index--
and replace it with buckwheat groats. Have you heard anything about
Amaranth (regarding glycemic value or nutritional value or immune
response)?  I will try to do a comparison of Basmati and brown rice to see
which would be best to use-- maybe I'll end up using just the ground rice
and nuts/seeds.  I am drawn to nuts/seeds--as well as seafood--because of
the research correlating omega 3 (fish/walnuts) and the unsaturated fats
in nuts/seeds with a lowering of blood pressure (which tends to be on the
high side, and which I am trying to reduce).

Cheers!

Gregg C.