From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 11:14:08 -0500
From: "Sam Sharma" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2000 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: [P-F] New member, needs some tips.

> > Raising your fat intake -- what makes you think you should worry about
this?
> > Just curious...
> >
> I've lived most of my 30+ years on a traditional Indian diet, rice,
lentils,
> kidney beans, chick peas, whole wheat roti, low fat boiled meats etc...
> and did very badly.  I was constantly hungry,
> run down, tired.  When I started Atkins I tried the low fat version and
> felt even worse.  I feel great on high fat, though.  I eat bacon
> and eggs for breakfast and sometimes don't eat just to see how lont it
will
> take to feel hungry again, and I don't feel hungry or tired until 5 or 6
pm.

I get a lot of fat from eating nuts, cooking with fat, and eating certain
fatty meats and fish that I like.

I love bacon and I'll fry 10 or 12 ounces and eat it (I get it from Fresh
Fields without nitrites) and use the fat to fry 3 eggs in (delicious).

I use lots of fat in cooking (now I am using a lot of goose fat which tastes
incredible and has the same characteristics in cooking as clarified butter,
I don't eat or use butter much as I avoid dairy in general.)

I eat pistachios or almonds almost every day.

I eat meat such as beef, lamb, pork, or poultry (I prefer dark meat) with
plenty of fat. I take flaxseed oil several times each week (see another
thread on the subject).

I try to get 70 - 80% of my calories from fat.

<--snip-->
> > Except for ground meat you buy already ground, if you are worried about
> > bacteria all you really have to do in general is sear the meat. Pork and
> > poultry should be cooked beyond this. A good meat thermometer is handy
> >

> And the toughness issue?  Have I just been eating too easily chewed food
> until now and have to build up the right muscles?

Properly cooked, meat is not tough. Steak can be a bit tough because it is
briefly cooked (if you like steak rare as I do) and you are chewing through
the connective tissue.

Some on this list eat a lot of raw meat but I do not. Even so, it shouldn't
be tough. If you learn a bit of meat cookery you will be delighted.

For instance, tonight I am having a beef stew I made a few days ago and I
used a bottom round roast that I cut up and braised (cooked in liquid, a
combination of boiling and steam cooking). This makes the beef completely
tender while if I had roasted it as many do, it would be rather tough.

Different cuts need different cooking methods, is what I am trying to say.

--Richard