From:
"Aaron D. Wieland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 13:01:31 -0500
Adele Stratton wrote:
>"Everything.  You start out by eliminating EVERY SINGLE THING except water.
>Then you eat one food and one food only.  All of it you want but only that
>exact food.  For example beef, plain, unseasoned, unprocessed beef.  you
eat
>ONLY beef for a few days.  Do you lose weight and feel well?  It's a safe
>food, it you can keep.  Do you not lose weight do you not feel well?  You
>PERMANENTLY eliminate it from your diet.

Thank you for an informative post.  Your are indeed correct that no
food is
guaranteed to be safe, and that allergies can influence weight.

I can't tell whether Kathleen's version of the elimination diet begins
with
a water fast, or water plus one food.  If the former, it is worth
noting
that fasting is *very* stressful for some people, notably
hypoglycemics.
Some people need more carbohydrates than are provided by an all-beef
diet,
though this is unlikely to be a serious problem for people subscribed
to the
Low-carb list.  (Similarly, eating all-fruit or vegetable diet could
be
disastrous, but this is not an issue for low-carbers.)

The elimination diet needn't be quite so severe.  There is a short
list of
foods (available at the URL I posted earlier) to which people are
rarely
allergic.  From this list, the dieter should eliminate any foods that
he or
she eats frequently.  If the dieter doesn't notice any clearing of
symptoms
within several days, then it is possible that one of the "safe" foods
actually isn't.

Cheers,
-- Aaron Wieland