From:
Xenu's Sister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 22:43:10 -0500
Hi Neanders!

I'm trying to build up a stock of Neanderthin-specific
recipes, and I thought I'd share a few. I'll send more
along as I type them in, if no one objects. These
came from the Fannie Farmer cookbook.

Whenever salt is called for, I personally use sea salt.

Vickie

NEANDERTHIN Recipe

Blender Mayonnaise  (1 1/2 cups)

1 whole egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 cup olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon boiling water

Place the egg, salt, mustard and 1/4 cup
of the oil in an electric blender. Turn on the
motor and add the remaining 3/4 cup oil in
a slow, thin stream.  Add the lemon juice
and water. Add extra salt to taste if
necessary. Refrigerate.

Note: if using a food processor, add an
extra egg yolk, omit the water, use up to
1/2 cup more oil, and adjust lemon juice
to taste.

NEANDERTHIN Recipe

Blender Green Mayonnaise (1 3/4 cups)

3/4 fresh mixed greens:
  parsley, watercress, young
  spinach leaves
1/4 cup fresh basil, tarragon or dill
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 cup olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
Salt and ground pepper to taste

Place the greens and the herb with the
egg, egg yolk, and pepper in an electric
blender or food processor and blend until
the greens are pureed.  Start adding the
oil in a slow, thin stream until the mixture
becomes too thick, then add the lemon juice
and continue until all the oil is used up.
If too thick, add a small amount of boiling
water. Taste, add salt and refrigerate in
in a covered bowl or jar.

Note: This must be used within a few
days; after that the greens tend to
turn sour.  If you plan to keep it
longer, blanch the greens for a minute
in boiling water, then squeeze dry
before using.

NEANDERTHIN Recipe

(Microwave)

Salmon Steaks with Watercress and Dill  (Serves 4)

1 bunch watercress, washed and stems removed
4 salmon steaks (about 1 3/4 pounds)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt

Put the watercress in the bottom of a 2-quart
microwave-safe baking dish and lay the salmon
steaks on top. In a small bowl, mix together
the lemon juice, oil, dill and salt, and pour
over the fish. Cover and microwave on high for
5-7 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with
a fork.

Note: Good hot or cold

NEANDERTHIN Recipe  (Serves 4)

Baked Whole Garlic

4 whole heads of garlic
1/2 cup olive oil (approx.)
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon thyme leaves

Preheat the oven to 275. Slice the top
(1/4 inch) from the heads of garlic and
rub to remove some of the papery skin
from the outside, taking care not to
separate the cloves.  Put the heads in
a baking dish that will just hold them.
Pour the olive oil over each, add the
salt, pepper and thyme.  Cover and bake
for about 30 minutes.  Remove the
cover and continue to bake for about
1-1 1/2 hours longer. The garlic mellows
and turns creamy as it bakes, and should
be very tender. To eat, squeeze one clove
at a time out of the skins.