Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 03:10:37 -0400
Thomas writes:

<<I did not try to get others to hold my opinion about
what is important in life...I only pointed out that
some people become obsessed with diet and health.>>

   **Obsessed is a subjective term.  You have your own definition of
obsessed.  For someone else, the definition may differ.

     You certainly did suggest that people's priorities were misaligned when
asking the rhetorical question about the American Dream.

<<Now what you want to do about it, is your business.
If you dont think it applies to you, then either it
really doesnt or (to use one of the pop-psychobabble
terms that are so dear to you) you are in denial.>>

**  It's interesting how many different ways a person can express prejudice.
Perhaps you can supply me with a list of what you have decided are the
"pop-psychobabble terms that are so dear" to me.  I must have accumulated
hundreds by now to warrant that label, right?  Being different from the
'pack' doesn't make one wrong, but it often leads to being misunderstood and
labeled - most often, mis-labeled.

You said you're a scientist.  Scientists seem to have an intolerance for
things that have no one true answer.  The proper diet is one of those
things; hence, I suppose, your frustration.   I'm a bit surprised that you
don't find it fascinating.

<< I dont care what he
believes (Chopra),but he should be ashamed of himself for his
perversions of science and, in my opinion, for
exploiting a spiritually starved population for his
own greed.>>

**  People choose to spend their money whatever way they want.  They decide
if his work feeds them spiritually.  If it does, they spend more money.  No
one is locked in to purchasing what he sells.  Those who are very successful
always attract critics and accusations.

  I'm much more concerned with the greed shown by companies like Monsanto,
that is willing to commit bribery, lie about, and hide information that
would have a negative impact on their profits.  I'm more concerned about a
government that closes its eyes to this.  I'm more concerned about a
government that continues to allow the dangerous practices in food
production that other countries have long eschewed (GMOs, grain-fed animals,
antibiotic and hormone-laden animals).  I'm more concerned about the highly
corrupt pharmaceutical companies that have the people convinced that good
health cannot be had without multiple chemical formulations that cost a
fortune. Would it be too "paranoid" to suggest that perhaps the government,
food industry and pharmaceutical companies are in bed together?   Deepak
Chopra looks relatively benign compared to these things.

Siobhan