From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 07:44:03 -0500
On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:51:14 -0500, ardeith l carter <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

Hunting mammoths and other really big game was
>necessary in the cold Northern climates......the hides, meat,
>and fat were vital to the people......they could not have survived
>the winters on small game.   They even built their shelters from
>bones and tusks.   And they certainly couldn't dug tubers from
>frozen tundra, if there were even tubers to be found there.

If you think of thundra or similar frozen environments you are certainly
right. If you take Auel's descriptions of an envorinment as accurate,
then you see how those people had chances to decide between hunting mammoth
or not. There will be circumstances, where a dangerous hunt will be
appropiate. If other food is rare for example. And if enough "dispensable"
hunters were there.

>While we are recognizing different people's needs today,
>let's remember that different tribes had different needs
>in the past.  Comparing the needs of people in warm
>climates to the needs of people in cold climates doesn't
>prove anything.

I would assume, that those of european descent (most of us here) had the
strongest influence of northern climate people.
Still it may be little. Because of the mixing in of immigrating sourthern
people since several 10k years. And because of the fact that there was only
little time in northern climates (40k years) for human anchestors and
only few of all people there.

As I understand current paleoanthropology the developepent from hominid to
human happened in savanna-like circumstances. Dry and warm.

>but those of us
>who are descended from those ancient people are primed
>to thrive on diets heavy in meat and fats.   Just as those of
>us whose ancestors lived in warmer climates may not need
>such foods.........

I think that you're right in that different people thrive on different
diets. I don't think it has much to do with anchestry.
There are few Eskimos around in the USA and Europe.

But it seems to work fine for many of us. I think that has to do mostly
with allergies and the history of carbohydrate eating in each individuum.

I know it's more difficult to spare on carbs from plants only.
With meat it's easier - supermarket or not.

However today I had almond only breakfast, plus one avocado.

Amadeus