From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 18:58:32 -0400
On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Phosphor wrote:

> >Perhaps, but it remains mysterious how it is possible for >people who eat
> little or no EPA and DHA to avoid deficiencies.
>
> but what is your basis for saying they have no deficiencies? when you look
> at the spread of ADHD, autism, drug addiction, depression in modern western
> societies you could describe them as modern plagues. since DHA is one of the
> prime building blocks in the brain it should be the first thing to come
> under the spotlight. we need not comment on the falling standards of
> education in schools.

Point taken.  But do these trends correlate with a *decrease* in
DHA consumption?  Maybe; I'm not sure.  I do know that Patricia
Kane, a scientist who does extensive biochemical work with
autistic children, has found that for some unknown reason they
tend to have a massive *surplus* of DHA.  But I think a pretty
strong case for correlation of depression with DHA deficiency
could indeed be made.

As for falling standards, there are paradoxical data.  In terms
of absolute performance, IQ test scores are today a full standard
deviation higher than they were 40 or 50 years ago.  The tests
have had to be renormed for that reason.  The raw score that
would have gotten you an IQ of 100 in 1950 would get you an 85
today.  This is a rather substantial improvement.  On the other
hand, SAT scores have fallen, to where they have had to be
renormed (especially the verbal scores) in the other direction.

But anyway, I concede that I should not be quick to assume that
DHA deficiencies are not widespread without further data.

Todd Moody