Date:
Mon, 11 May 2009 19:50:22 -0400
A book of whoppers, so wrong-headed.
For instance:

?

> But in Catching Fire, renowned primatologist Richard Wrangham
> presents a startling alternative: our evolutionary success is the
> result of cooking.

The result of cooking has been devolution, if anything.

> In a groundbreaking theory of our origins,
> Wrangham shows that the shift from raw to cooked foods was the
> key factor in human evolution.

It made life nasty, brutish and short.

> When our ancestors adapted to
> using fire, humanity began.  Once our hominid ancestors began
> cooking their food, the human digestive tract shrank and the brain
> grew.

Whopper! Guts shrink when we eat raw zero carb. Neolithic brains are
shrunken.

Time once spent chewing tough raw food could be sued
> instead to hunt and to tend camp.

Was used instead for the grinding toil of neolithic farming.

  Cooking became the basis for
> pair bonding and marriage, created the household, and even led
> to a sexual division of labor.

Really! That means that short female legs and big bum muscles are
designed for pulling the plow, while he steered.

  Tracing the contemporary
> implications of our ancestors’ diets, Catching Fire sheds new light
> on how we came to be the social, intelligent, and sexual species
> we are today.

A hunting party needs more social skills and intelligence than farming.

  A pathbreaking new theory of human evolution,
> Catching Fire will provoke controversy and fascinate anyone
> interested in our ancient origins—or in our modern eating habits."

Certainly path-breaking. Wrong path, though.

William