From:
Frances Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:52:42 +0000
From:    Phosphor <[log in to unmask]>
 >When I asked *which* vitamins/minerals you answered 'calcium for a start.'
 >so again I ask: do you have any references to studies which support this
 >claim?

I have put some key words into google so you can click and read.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=hypercalcemia&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=excess+of+calcium

http://www.anapsid.org/hypercal.html

 >what other artifical vitamins/minerals build up?

Do a search on toxicity of vit ? or a mineral.

eg,
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=toxicity+of+vitamins+and+minerals&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.doclocke.com/natural.htm

http://archive.food.gov.uk/dept_health/pdf/evmpdf/evm4.pdf

http://www.westsussex.nhs.uk/improving_health/diet_and_nutrition/vitamins_and_minerals.cfm

 >I do not know of any green vegetable or dried fruit which is a good source
 >of calcium. can you name the actual plants you have in mind?

They may not be as high as milk or dairy products but a good balanced diet
containing brocolli, green leafy veggies, collard greens, kale, eggs, nuts etc
will give a good balanced source of calcium. Check on

http://www.hoptechno.com/nightcrew/sante7000/sante7000_search.cfm

This will give you a nutrient breakdown on foods including it calcium content.

Calcium from these sources will keep a balance with Magnesium, zinc, and
phospherous.

here's one strange thing he says:

 >"[in] carrot juice there are large quantities of microelements...b-carotene
 >(vitamin A), vitamins B6 and B12)."
 >
 >this is wrong since there is no vitamin A or B12 in any plant substance.
 >[except for some b12 in fermented plant foods derived from the bacteria].

Vit A from plant sources are not as bioavailable as those from animal sources,
however its still there and it benefits the body.

http://www.1uphealth.com/alternative-medicine/vitamin-a-11.html

But then if you have read the above links on calcium you will find that only
20-30% of calcium is absorbed from food sources.

I'm not sure about his claim with vitamin B12. Maybe he was talking about a
fortified carrot juice. Too many foods are now fortified, upsetting balance.

 >he also gives no references to the claims he makes about the negative long
 >term effects of intake of artificial vitamins.  is this the only site where
 >you read about this idea?

http://www.unm.edu/~ehpp/nut1.htm

This idea was also formed from reading about the toxic effects of vitamins and
minerals. Especially the fat soluble ones that are stored in the body. The one
thing that comes out of all this is that no vitamin, or mineral works alone.
They all depend on each other. When you upset the ratios things go very wrong.
An easy way to upset a ratio is to take a supplement. They know that calcium
and Mg work together, so they are often put together. But they also need other
vitamins, enzymes, minerals etc. So for calcium you also need vit D in enough
quantity... the list goes on. And that does not include the interactions they
don't know about yet.

Even esential amino acids like glutamate and aspartate cause hazzardous
conditions and illnesses in the population (stroke, diabetes, MS, asthma,
heart arrhythmia etc). Do a search on MSG (monosodium glutamate which is also
the same as free glutamate, which you can create by over cooking many foods
high in glutamte), and ask yourself why they are developing glutamate blocking
drugs.

Are you just playing devils advocate? You can now read some of the stuff that
helped me make my mind up. I don't understand why you eat paleo if you think
supplements are needed or are Ok.

I hope this will suffice. I don;t want to continue with this anymore. If you
want to believe different then that is your perogitive. I Think it is better
to listen to my body rather then scientific research because it is limited
(all though I am sure some is very good). Fran