From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:14:44 -0700
At 07:47 AM 3/23/01 EST, Madeline Mason wrote:

>Of course. That is obvious and not the point. I've even heard of someone
>drinking himself to death- drinking water! For example, I've sometimes heard

Not to be morbidly gross here...  but I'm just trying to figure out *how*
that can happen!  The water, I mean.  Wouldn't you throw it back up if you
tried to drink too much at once?  And if you have some time for the stomach
to empty, does just water take so long to get through your system that it
doesn't manage to get out the, er, latter end?

>people say, "I'm allergic to vitamin C". You could be allergic to the form in
>which it is delivered, or an additive, binder, or something taken out of
>balance with other factors upon which it is codependent, etc. But something
>you cannot live without cannot be toxic or allergenic, by definition. Unless,
>of course, you OD on it. (I realized as soon as I sent that post  that
>someone would probably respond to that statement, but once sent, had no way
>to recall it to elaborate. Hope that clears things up.)

Wouldn't overdosing, by definition, be pretty much "levels beyond the point
of toxicity"?  It just occurs to me that this is pretty much how I
understand the concept of "overdose".

Dianne