Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:08:18 -0700
From thewinenews.com: "Most winemakers use sulfur dioxide in very small amounts to preserve freshness and protect their wines from spoilage organisms. When dissolved in wine, sulfur dioxide binds with impurities and any live spoilage organisms and destroys them, and in the process, the sulfur dioxide produces sulfites.

Wines labeled "no sulfites added" are not necessarily free of sulfites. The fermentation process creates sulfites in small amounts. What's more, according to wine consultants Motto, Kryla & Fischer, the daily process of digestion in the human body produces the amount of sulfites in 100 bottles of wine. Because white wines need sulfites to prevent oxidation and spoilage, they contain about twice the sulfites as do reds - amounting to less than 80 parts per million of sulfur dioxide. For those who are sensitive to red wines, it may be something other than sulfites that is causing a reaction."

FWIW, I've found that cheap red wine is to me the biggest cause of wine-induced headeaches.  A good red never hurts my noggin.

Jim Swayze
www.fireholecanyon.com