From:
"Balzer, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2011 23:50:19 +1000
Ron
How then do you explain the need for government to subsidise farmers to
produce grain fed beef?
I think the point of the additives is that they add calories, and are
otherwise waste products. The benefits (and I presume the literature)
would reflect the economic benefits.

Mad cow disease arose by feeding cattle the brains of deceased cattle.
in the New Guinea highlands, it was traditional to eat the brains of
your deceased relatives. These people came down with a slow virus called
kuru. It was predictable then that feeding cattle the brains of their
deceased relatives could introduce a life cycle for slow viruses/prions.
We're just lucky that this was a lot faster than kuru so we realised it
during the short lifespan of a cow, cf I recall 15 years or more for kuru.

Regards
Ben