From:
Jim Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 06:22:18 +0930
Hi all,

I am thinking of breeding chickens for eggs and meat.

I would like to breed chickens (and eggs) that are as naturally reared as possible. Hopefully with
reasonable high omega-3 content in the meat/fat/eggs.

(My thinking is that getting omega-3 from animal food sources is probably more paleo than me
scoffing flax seeds, or oil.)

Does anyone have any experience breeding chickens? Natural diet? etc.etc. Any good links?

There was speculation on the list that feeding flax seeds to chickens should raise the omega-3
SFA content of eggs. I presume this would also apply to the chicken itself? Are flax seeds
"natural" for chickens to eat?

I would have to confine them (unfortunately) due to predators and available space. I have about
6m by 6m that I could devote to a chicken yard (including enclosures, nesting area etc.) is this
too small?

(I am guessing that keeping chickens for eggs would be easier than breeding for meat. Probably
it makes sense for me to keep them for eggs first, and look at the possibility of meat later?)

Any thoughts welcome.

Jim Walsh