From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 17:30:42 GMT
I don't know a great deal about cooking with animal fat, (it's my former
veggie self shining on I guess), but I use high oleic safflower oil when I
cook with oil, adding olive oil, if I am using it, during the final minutes
of cooking or as a condiment at the table. This is a trick I learned when I
learned to make risotto. The olive oil is much better if not cooked. It
tastes better, you use less, and it is stable. Olive oil is ok for quick
sauteing, but it's better to add another fat to the pan (like safflower oil)
before adding olive oil to help preserve it's integrity.

High oleic oils are supposed to be more stable at higher heat. Safflower oil
is the only paleo-friendly high oleic oil I can find.

I would be interested to know more about cooking with animal fat. How does
the fat stand up to cooking temp up to 400?
Stacie

PS for the record, olive oil blended with toasted pine nuts and garlic makes
a delicious "butter". (add fresh basil and you have pesto)