From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:21:50 -0400
On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> You are right, of course. Just red meat *alone* is.
> Well - I admit, I said this to cause a little thinking about the difference
> of paleo meat and meat of today.
> From the one (agro-meat) you can eat as much as you want.
> From the other (paleo meat), you have to fear that rabbit starvation.
> More different than it looks at first blush.

Agreed.  Of course, the paleo-meat statement has to be qualified
according to fat content.  When animal fat was available, it
would have been consumed completely.  As you (and Ray) state,
agro-meat is bred and raised to have a fat content similar to
that of cold-climate megafauna.  The fat *composition* is
different, of course.  That's the point stressed by you and
Cordain, and somewhat neglected by Ray.

> Alas, with paleo-veggies it's similar. Today's veggies are also rather
> modified. Mostly also in the direction energy-dense.

Yes.

> Roots and tuber seem a good savannah tip. Ben's (ex.?) favourites.
> Where can we find things like this?
> http://biology.uindy.edu/Biol345/LECTURE18/diggingstick.htm

Yes, that's an excellent site, isn't it?  These would be the most
available high-density energy sources, with nuts and fruits being
denser but only briefly available.

> You once mentioned that quinoa was biological a fruit.
> Could you tell where-from?

>From South America.  Quinoa is not botanically a grain, although
it is used like one.  I have no idea whether it is edible raw.

Todd Moody