From:
Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:05:13 CDT
>ADRIENNE: Thanx so much!  One last question, what are your thoughts on whey
> >protein powder?  I know that technically it's forbidden as non-pale >--
>but then again, vitamins are non-paleo too.

A lot of that depends on the processing issues involved.  Grass fed, hormone
and antibiotic free beef is far healthier than the steroid injected crap at
the grocery store.

The same goes for whey protein.  One method of processing, ion exchange,
uses temps that are way too high and many of the delicate protein
subfractions are destroyed.  CFM (cross flow microfiltration) is much better
- but different temps are involved here too.  Ideally, the lowest temp CFM
is used to process the whey.  As far as I'm aware, the best way is made by
the Life Extension Foundation http://www.lef.org.  But if you're on a
budget, then you can get a good low temp CFM whey from
http://www.supplementdirect.com (they also have creatine at a cheap price).

But even if you use a good quality whey protein, I personally believe they
still suck for health.  Humans whey is different than cows whey.  Even if
you do not have a lactose intolerance or a dairy allergy, then it does *not*
necessarily logically follow that cow whey protein is okay or healthy.  I
trust Mother Nature far more than any of the supplement manufacturers.

Some supplements like a good multivitamin/mineral and cod liver oil are key
for health, but most are worthless, unnecessary, and even
counter-productive.  If you need more high quality protein, go with real
*live* food which contains *live* nutrients, eg free range meat and eggs.
At best, protein shakes are reconsituted food.

Justin Hasselman