Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:57:17 -0700
Robert > I am reading the book as well, and I don't see them
presenting it as a paleo diet -- just a low-carb, high-fat diet.

Well, they're sort of doing what Taubes and a few others have done
(the Eades for example): they start with the premise that we ought to
eat like our ancestors.  (Chapter 2 is titled "Low Carbohydrate
Lessons from Aboriginal Cultures.")

I believe they made the jump from the fact that the Masai use dairy to
the idea that it's good for all low carbers.

Anyway, like Taubes, they only got half of the equation right.  Low
carb is necessary for those with what Volek and Phinney call
"carbohydrate intolerance."  But, even though they begin with the idea
that we should eat like a caveman, they decidedly do not follow the
conclusion to its logical end and have us avoids classes of foods our
ancestors would have found unrecognizable.  Avoid metobolic syndrome,
check.  That gets you half way there.  Next step is to avoid
autoimmune disease.  Volek and Phinney take a few more tentative steps
in that direction than Taubes, but not nearly enough IMO.

Jim