Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 2010 20:12:30 -0500
Marilyn Harris wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I am in Ottawa and have done some beta tasting for Canawa which is
> located in Toronto. I liked their 1:1 meat/fat ratio pemm and
> particularly their curry flavoured stuff. It apparently has alittle
> salt in it which only enhances the flavour. The plain 1:1 pemm was
> very good too.
>
> I did not pay for these, and they were sample sizes.
>
> I am no expert on pemmican mind you and it was the first time I had
> ever eaten it.

Unless someone else here has more than 14 months of making and eating
it, I'm the expert.
    The ingredients look the same as when I make it except for the tallow
which is the yellow of grass-finished, the pemmican looks grey, maybe
because of spice.
    The 50/50 mix makes ~69% fat by calories (actually more like EFAs)
according to master pemmicaneer Lex Rooker; WARNING -this is probably
the minimum fat content for health for most - I started there, but after
some months found that I need more EFAs.
    I wrote the maker, and the meat/jerky has been heated to >104°F to
comply with the law. So it's not raw as I would define that, but some
make and eat it that way and report no problems. The maker eats it
himself, for health reasons.

If it tastes good to someone who has never eaten it before, then it
tastes better than mine.

Conclusion: probably the best you can buy in N. America.

William

PS Pemmican was used all winter by those who had no cereal grains to eat
in long northern winters; this is why I have used it as a zero carb
food, and have no idea what it could do to blood sugar if mixed with
carbs. WS

PPS I always eat it with raw egg yolk(s) and chase with black straight
coffee WS