From:
Michele Shoemaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 1998 16:25:45 -0700
At 12:38 PM 5/5/98 -0700, you wrote:

>cows will be 'fed' 60 bottles of Molson Canadian (beer) each daily to
'improve' the beef.

I don't think it will improve the beef, though as with people the cows may
get fatter. I was told an interesting story this weekend about the use of
beer with animals. I was talking to a Cajun about the use of meat. (I also
gave a workshop on Paleo-principles, and had several people thank me for
aloowing them to step out of the meat-loving closet), he related that when
his father would raise a young pig for cochon au lait, or milk pig they
woud feed it a sweet diet. On the day of it's demise they would get the
pigglet drunk by including a 6-pack in it's feed. The pigglet would soon be
in it's ever loving cups and would pass out at which point it was
slaughtered, never knowing a moment of fear or pain. This means no fear
driven adrenalin in the meat and a much better flavor. Plus it's not so
unpleasant for the butcher.

Willow