From:
Ingrid Bauer/J-C Catry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 11:01:03 -0700

>>Thank you to those who responded to my thyroid post.  Today I went
>for another comprehensive blood scan (T3, T4, TSH, Thyroid Antibody
>Hormone), and I'm really stumped.  My T3, T4, and Free T4 are all within
>normal range, but my TSH is back off the charts at 8.8 - (Normal range is
>.3-5.4).  Anyone out there have any ideas, before my phone rings and my
>oncologist starts breathing down my neck to begin immediate Synthroid or
Pig
>Thyroid....

To detox the nervous system for better emotional and physical health,
and
to normalize laboratory tests, go to:
http://home.earthlink.net/~clearpathway or:
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~er26/toxicmind.html

Following is the answer to your question from the personn who wrote
that
site.

<There is so much feedback going on between the hypothalamus, the
pituitary,
<and the thyroid, plus the effect of excess adrenaline being released
<periodically from the nervous system, that these various tests are
pretting
<meaningless, some can be normal while others abnormal. You might send
the
<Paleo list my web site, don't go into detail, but you might post it
as
<"Self help measures to detox the nervous system, improve physical
health,
<and normalize laboratory tests".  Ellie

and here a letter she send me in the past

jean-claude

<Here is the section from my paper about hypothyroidism.

<Psychosomatic disorders
<Because of toxicosis in the hypothalamus the activity of pituitary
hormones
<may be altered periodically, adversely affecting a number of systems.
The
<periodic shift from underexcitation to overexcitation in the
autonomic
nervous system contributes to a variety of psychosomatic disorders,
better
termed neurogenic. Fluctuations in parasympathetic activity affect the
heart, digestion, and elimination. Because the entire sympathetic
system is
usually excited at the same time, periodic changes in its activity
affect
most of the visceral organs. The sympathetic system increases cellular
metabolism, which accelerates the release of toxins throughout the
body.
When this system is repressed, the body cannot efficiently carry out
the
daily process of detoxification. Tumors can occur anywhere in the body
where toxins are being walled-off, but enervation in the central and
autonomic nervous systems is likely to contribute to cancer. Increased
levels of dopamine and its metabolites are associated with
ganglioneuromas
and neuroblastomas (35). Excess catecholamine in the adrenal gland is
found
in pheochromocytoma. Women with metastatic breast cancer were shown to
live
longer when they entered therapy for the release of repressed
emotions, and
patients who died more rapidly were less able to communicate dysphoric
feelings, particularly anger (36).

During detoxification crises the sympathetic system is overactive, and
there is an increased release of catecholamines, which, in persons
prone to
outbursts of anger, has been linked to coronary heart disease (37).
Decreased hypothalamic activity or increased tissue metabolism as a
result
of overexcitation of the sympathetic system may cause the thyroid to
become
hypoactive. People generally see a doctor when they are having
symptoms,
namely detoxification crises that involve both the central nervous
system
and peripheral organs, and they may be diagnosed with hypothyroidism
when
there is no actual pathology in the thyroid gland. In recovery,
hypothyroidism usually disappears, and body temperature, blood
pressure,
and pulse rate tend to normalize (34) as the activities of the
sympathetic
and parasympathetic systems stabilize.

J-C it may be that the cortisone also affects the thyroid output. But
put it simply, when you are going through all the periodic detox
crises as
you are, during  a detox crisis, or series of crises, ie excitatory
nervous
symptoms, your noradrenergic and sympathetic nervous systems are
putting
out so much stored up excess adrenaline that the adrenaline increases
your
metabolism and (like negative feedback mechanism) the thyroid doesn't
need
to put out so much hormone to maintain the usual level of metabolism.
This
means the thyroid can put out less hormone, ie get hypoactive, when
there
is nothing wrong with the thyroid gland. Most people are at the
doctors'
office when they are having symptoms, and that's when they test
hypothyroid. When you are post flood there will be no more release of
excess adrenaline, and your thyroid function should be normal. All the
lab
tests are rather meaningless when going through the detox process. And
people are detoxing all the time even if they are not redirecting.
Because
of the periodic over and underexcitation of the pituitary and other
peripheral organs, most hormonal systems are out of balance. This does
not
necessarily mean anything is wrong with those organs. If you've got
cancer
or something in one of them, that's over the line, and may not reverse
when
post flood, but you would know it if that were the case. My medical
doctor
tried to get me on Synthroid too, and I just said no thanks. I hope
you are
lowering your cortisone too, and doing the redirecting everytime you
have
excitatory nervous symptoms.

Ellie

By the way ,following her selfhelp measure i managed to lower my
cortisone
intake from 20 mg to 17.5 mg for few months now ( i am supposed to
have
completly destroyed adrenal cortex for 19 years and take cortisone for
as
long just to stay alive)
jean-claude