From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 07:45:27 -1000
>> do you simply buy the shrimp at Safeway, or do you go to an
>>Asian market?
>
>i don't think it really matters what kind you buy.  usually i buy the shrimp
>at just a regular grocery store, and i get the biggest size shrimp they
>have, it's easier to shell and devein them, i think.  if i am lazy, i buy a
>bag of frozen shrimp from the Schwan truck, they come already shelled and
>deveined -- costs more, but it's easier.

Much of the shrimp that is available is pond-farmed in developing
countries. The feed is quite denatured and leaves the shrimp with a very
pasty taste (when eaten raw at least). I saw first hand the devastation
shrimp farming has on mangrove areas in Ecuador and Thailand. How the media
became so concerned about the tuna fishing/dolphin killing connection and
while ignoring the effects of shrimp farming has always baffled me. Must be
the dreaded "conspiracy". ;)

There _is_ plenty wild shrimp available but it takes some researching to
find it. Unfortunately the cheapest frozen shrimp is the most likely to be
farmed and nearly all the shrimp available in supermarkets is thawed, if
that matters to you. If you do find fresh shrimp, treat yourself to shrimp
with the roe (eggs) still attached--delicious.

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft