From:
Erik Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 09:37:22 PST
What are some of the bigger antioxidants?  Now this begs the question, what
is the ideal diet within the paleo range?  I suppose, a high variety, meat
based diet which nevertheless includes many fruits and vegetables, nuts, and
seeds, and perhaps the occasional insect?  I don't suppose there is a
reasonable, scientific way to at least guess what this diet might look like?

This brings up some worries on my part.  It really took a huge sample (all
of humanity, over all of human history) to make the whole grain/milk/bean
problem apparent, and even then, it's apparent only to a small minority of
humans!  How do we know, for example, that eating a bunch of oranges isn't
going to create some subtle problem 30 years down the line?  In other words,
what tools do we have at our disposal that would allow us to predict the
effect of long-range dietary changes on the human animal, as opposed to
simply discover, through an analysis of our health through our history,
problems associated with changes that have occurred thousands of years ago?
Furthermore, how do I know that eliminating, say, cheese, is going to
improve the probability of my having good health over the course of my life?
  We can make a reasonable guess that the total change from paleo to neo is
very problematic, and that the more recent change from neo to industrial is
probably worse, but can we nail down specific culprits?  Affix blame?
Perhaps some of these foods are innocent!  Any ideas?

Erik