From:
R Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 20:50:12 -0700
Hi Marilyn,
Thanks for your engaging questions. Please understand that I have a huge
bias here. I have studied the health hazards of gluten-contining grains for
the last 14 years and that has a tendency to color one's perspective. That
said, I do have to admit that sprouted breads would probably contain less
phytate, and there are many valuable vitamins and minerals in grains.
Alernatively, there are also many valuable nutrients in meats, fruits, nuts,
and vegetables. It is the hazardous contents of grains that I think should
concern you or anyone else who chooses to eat them.

Phytates, although significant, are only part of the grain problem.
According to Martin Kagnoff, *all* humans lack the necessary enzymes to
fully digest gluten. Specifically, we cannot break the multiple glutamine
sequences. That may be fine as long as we don't suffer a serious burn,
chemotherapy, radiation, a serious intestinal infection, one of several
viral infections, etc. etc. However, when one of these traumas occurs we
produce excessive amounts of zonulin which relaxes the epithelial junctions
that usually act as a protective barrier. This loss of protection allows
these partly digested gluten-derived proteins and peptides to leak into our
circulation, at which time the immune system would become sensitized to
gluten. When these same proteins and peptides are put in a petrie dish with
many (but not all) of a wide range of human tissues, the tissue cells are
damaged.

Hence, gliadins are cytotoxic and under any of the many conditions that
cause a leaky gut, gliadins can be leaked into the bloodstream to damage any
susceptible human tissues they come in contact with. Gliadins are
particularly toxic to neurological cells.

Further, waiting until you are diagnosed with gluten sensitivity or celiac
disease would be a little like beginning to practice birth control after
conception. Once your immune system is sensitized to gluten, you already
have a problem. If you are not gluten sensitive, why not stop it before it
starts? It is also worthwhile pointing out that about 95$ of American
celiacs go undiagnosed. The number of gluten sensitive Americans is at least
12 times the number of celiacs, and I suspect that an even even smaller
percentage of  gluten sensitive Americans are diagnosed. We are talking
about a minimum of about 40 million Americans.

Also, the absolute claim you quoted about wheatgrass being gluten free is
not quite accurate. Gluten is a group of several families of storage
proteins. These proteins provide nutrients to facilitate germination and
growth of the plant. In theory, there should be an identifiable point at
which one stem is free from gluten, just it finishes the germination
process. However, even adjacent grasses do not germinate at absolutely
identical rates. There is no absolute cut-off point where all glutens are
absent from all stems in even a very small a batch of grass. The gluten
content is dramatically reduced but it is not completely absent. I know
several celiacs who tried wheatgrass and are fairly sensitive to gluten.
Each of them had a gluten reaction.

If you are interested in a deeper understanding of the hazards of eating
grain-derived foods (sprouted or otherwise) I would suggest reading
_Dangerous Grains_. Of course I have a wee bias there too. I make a small
amount of money from every copy that sells. :-)

Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan, Ed. D.
co-author Dangerous Grains ISBN: 978158333-129-3 www.dangerousgrains.com
editor: Scott-Free Newsletter www.celiac.com

"Objectivity is the prerogative of objects."