From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:30:38 -0500
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:54, Robert Kesterson wrote:

>> 2. Manual labourer. ... Do you think a strict paleo diet will work for
>> such a man? ... What I have on mind is that man who has very little
>> choices and must work almost like a slave. How will you customize a
>> paleo diet for him?
>
>He's going to have to keep his calories high to sustain all that
>activity.  So he's either going to have to increase food quantity, or
>increase caloric density.  If his system can tolerate it, dried fruit is
>extremely calorie dense, and can be eaten without preparation "on the
>go".  Nuts are also calories dense and can be eaten quick and easy.  He'd
>want to get plenty of protein to repair the muscles from all the work.
>But overall, I don't think he'd have any particular problems with a paleo
>diet, as long as he kept up the calories.

I have noticed that a reasonable meal - say 1,000 calories - can be eaten with comfort
immediately before hard physical activity if it contains no (or low) carbs. Exercising too soon after
a meal of high carbs can produce nausea. I can eat a slab of fatty cold meat, cycle to the gym,
work out and then cycle vigorously to work (12 miles) without any discomfort in the gym or on the
bike. In fact my usual breakfast is cold meat and nuts and the meal I take to work is also cold
meat and nuts.

Keith