From:
Charles Alban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:28:30 EST
What's the point of this discussion about grains and wheat? Modern h-g's
gather seeds of various grasses, and other plants, so what's wrong with
emulating them? They are perfectly fit and healthy on it, and that's the
object of the exercise, isn't it? The really big difference is between modern
cultivated, domesticated wheat, with its modern processing (which removes the
germ), and this is where all our health problems stem from.

The difference between modern wild grasses and Paleolithic grasses must be
very small., so it must be ok to eat their seeds, and modern h-g's prove that
it is. Surely it's academic to discuss whether Paleos actually ate grass
seed. They obviously could have, since it was readily available. Woud you
turn down an easily obtainable and highly nutritious food source? It's a lot
easier than hunting.

If we are trying to emulate the Paleo lifestyle, we can only do it with what
is available to us. If you are going to eat seeds, then they need to be from
wild plants, which I suppose would be similar to whatever might have grown on
this hyopthetical savannah we are supposed to have evolved in.

Charles