From:
"Robbins, Arlene" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 16:14:40 -0800
Delurking for this topic because it means a lot to me.

As a recovering alcoholic and carb addict, I've asked a lot of questions and
made a few observations.

Sugar seems to help some people I've met ease the craving for alcohol but it
doesn't replace it.  And there are many meetings in my area that do not
serve cookies.  The vast majority of recovering alcoholics say their drink
of choice was straight - no mixer, so there was no carb for them to be
allergic to.  A side effect of drinking was that it suppressed my appetite
and I often used it to control my weight.  When I stopped drinking, I turned
to the lowfat/high carb way of eating and found myself eating 2 or 3 bowls
of cereal in one sitting and feeling more and more miserable and hungry.  I
know many others in recovery who feel like they're now addicted to carbs
(still trying to fill that soul hole).  Unfortunately the attitude is "no
one ever got pulled over for eating a cookie", so very few make the
connection.

Quite a few alcoholics I know, myself included, suffer from clinical
depression and most think that started long before they took their first
drink.  A common story is how the alcoholic feels like he/she doesn't fit in
and alcohol makes that happen for them (self medicating).  People in OA use
food (almost always high carb) the way alcoholics use alcohol.  With AA,
antidepressants and a lowcarb way of eating (loosely paleo), I've been a
normal functioning person for almost 4 years and have maintained my goal
weight for almost a year.  I have been tested and have no food allergies but
I am slightly sensitive to lactose.

As for alcoholism being inherited, my observation is that people born into
alcoholic environments are more likely to become alcoholic but most of us
come from sober happy homes.

I would be interested in studies connecting alcohol addiction, depression
and carbs.  I believe there has to be a chemical connection as it seems too
common to be a coincidence.  As for a high fat/lowcarb diet making it
possible for an alcoholic to drink like a normal person, I doubt you'd find
too many of us willing to take that chance.

Going back to lurk mode.

-Arlene