From:
Adam Sroka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:32:52 -0600
[log in to unmask] wrote:
> It's interesting, Adrienne, to hear of your struggles with your mother
> in law.  My in laws, my father in law in particular, are so addicted to
> sugar that any mention of this paleo diet sends them into fits.
> Whenever we politely mention -- and despite by inner thoughts, I am
> polite -- that our children don't eat this or that, we get a comment
> like, "Oh, that's stupid!"  It's fun being undermined in front of your
> children.  Seriously, the behavior is very much like an addict's.
>
> .

My grandparents, now in their late seventies, are both type 2 diabetics.
They follow a very prescriptive, traditional, high-carb diet. They read
the Tufts Health and Nutrition Letter (A very conservative nutrition
newsletter.) My grandfather was a pharmacist with about forty years
experience before he retired. I love them to death, but there is
essentially no use in suggesting to them that they might be able to
lower their blood sugar (Which they constantly complain about) by doing
exactly the opposite of what they are now doing. It infuriates me how
the nutrition establishment maintains this facade of knowing the One
Right Way To Eat (TM) despite the mounting evidence against them. My
grandfather, as a career pharmacist, is very aware of science, but as
long as they continue to tell him that they are right there is no reason
for him to question their "science". Sometimes I wish there were a
college class, required of every aspiring scientist, called "How and
When to Say 'I Don't Know'".