From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 21:03:03 +1000
My apologies for such a long off-topic post, but I've seen several
posts here about Candida, and I thought it would be useful for this
information to be in the list archives.

At 0:57 +1000 7/3/1999, Mary wrote:

>I am trying to find NATURAL ways to combat candidiasis.

My experience suggests it's really, really hard to get rid of candidiasis
without resorting to prescription drugs. My SO and I have been through this.

She was taking (at various times) grapefruit seed extract, hydrogen
peroxide, Pau d'Arco and Caprylic Acid. She took lots of probiotics.
We never managed to find a source for olive leaf extract or MSM, both of
which are rumored to be very effective.

When treating candidiasis, the things you eliminate from your diet are
as important as the things you add. As the yeast thrives on even the
smallest amount of carbohydrate, you need to strictly adhere to an
extremely low-carb diet. After about six months on the diet and taking
natural remedies, my SO had seen an improvement in the candidiasis, but
there was still a long way to go.

We had a number of concerns about the length of time it was taking to cure
the problem. The diet was difficult to adhere to, and it was impacting on
our lifestyle (i.e. no eating out). We had some concerns about the health
effects of staying on such a low-carb diet for an extended period (which
I've since learned more about, and this fear was probably unfounded). The
biggest concern was that the yeast was probably continuing to damage the
intestine, and in order to halt this damage we decided to try to eliminate
the yeast as quickly as possible. We bombed the yeast with Diflucan and
followed up with 4 weeks on Nystatin (Lamisil is preferred, but it is
extremely expensive here).

She's now back to eating a 'normal' low-carb diet, the chronic fatigue has
cleared up, the bloating is much improved, although the damage done to the
gut will take a while to heal, and the yeast infections are under control.

>I'd like to find something like garlic, with similar properties,
>antimicrobial, which does not irritate the GI tract, and which is not
>full of sulfur like garlic.

It may actually be the sulfur in the garlic that makes it so effective
against the Candida! MSM is another sulfur-based compound that is
supposed to be a very effective treatment.

Here's a post from YEAST-L in which Mark from Seattle lists many ways of
treating candidiasis (including a range of natural remedies). YEAST-L is a
really good support list for candidiasis, although they tend to drift into
some pretty dubious treatments at times. If you're not on that list, I
recommend subscribing.

Also check out Don's excellent Candida Page: http://www.panix.com/~candida/

One more problem with candidiasis is that there are a whole lot of diseases
that present similar symptoms. It's worth doing tests for the other
diseases before launching into a candidiasis treatment.

Yours sincerely,
Richard Archer.