From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 06:30:00 +0000
 I'm wondering if sweet and sour is typical in China, Japan, etc.
>> Tom?
>
>Not in Japan at any rate. They generally don't use much
>sugar in cooking, with some exceptions. They do eat a lot of
>carbs, but the basic carb is rice, steamed, so low temp cooking.

Well, not sugar, per se, but mirin, which is highly sweetened and salted,
and in some cases, laced with MSG. This in darn near every dish: fish for
breakfast, soups and stew bases, and plenty of sugar also in teriyaki
sauce, katsudon sauce, omelets, sushi rice, etc. The basic tastes of Japan
are not in the food, but in the salt, sugar and MSG found in everything. I
think the small quantities add up, and certainly can become addictive, at
least to the sense of taste.

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!