From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 12:15:10 -0500
On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:58:59 -0500, Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>But to use GI data, I have compiled the Glycemic index data from Rick
>Mendosa into a table , where the GI is divided by the energy the food has.
>So, the list is a list of food items which were best able to yield food
>energy with the minimum insulin elevation.
>Peanuts were best. ..
>I've uploaded it to http://www.geocities.com/paleolix/Look_at_Gilist.html .

I have a correction for the list above.
I forgot that the GI lists were made from a 50g carbohydrate amount,
not from a fixed weight.
So, I recomputed the weight each GI portion had and from that
a new list of GI per kcal.
Remember my goal was to  look which food would elevate glocuse the least
for the maximum energy.
Now, Peanut still are best.
Then Black Beans, then channa dal (the favourite of rich Mendosa).

The link above is the corrected list now.
Of course it has only Mendosa items, not related to paleo-considerations.

>Anyone has the *Insulin Score* list or article?

Thanks, Don for the list.
It's interesting to learn, that the glucose-effect I computed with above,
not necessarily relates to insulin effects.

As Brand Miller states, we don't know what actually causes the insulin
elevations. We only can explain it for 33% with the glucose load and the
total macronutrient load.

Looking at the numbers I was reminded of our previous discussion about the
amino acid pool in the blood. You may remember, Todd.

We can only store a maximum of about 55g free amino acids in the blood.
It wasn't clear how fast this would be used up, so it wasn't clear how much
protein could be used as amino acids.

The insulin score list gives us a hint.
The high protein food gave a disproportional high insulin elevation
(e.g. beef like popcorn).

The beef meal was (for 240kcal of lean meat) 42g protein.
I'd suggest that the protein pool (of 55g) was reduced overnight by some
10-20g.
Digesting the 42g protein steak refills the missing 10-20g, leaving 20-30g.
Which need to be carried away from the blood.
Insulin is the message to carry it away.
Into muscles - ok it is working anabolic.
And into fat and glucose.
The simultaneous glucocorticoids are the signal to heat on the
gluconeogenesis oven (make it into sugar).

Then (much) beef would be working like cortinson.
Sideeffect imune suppressing.

This explanation for the study needs no direct correlation to total protein
(which wasn't found in the study). It's would be only the protein above a
certain "repleneshing" capacity that counts.

regards,

Amadeus