Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 07:47:17 -0400
A friend e-mailed me this article:  I've included the link and the article
in case you want to find out more.

  http://onhealth.com/ch1/briefs/item,79217.asp

Birth Defect Linked to Vegetarian Moms
  Women who follow a vegetarian diet during their pregnancy are five
times more likely to deliver a baby boy with a birth defect.
  According to a new study, researchers at the University of
Bristol, in England, found a link between a vegetarian diet and boys
born with a condition called hypospadias, in which the penis opening is
found on the underside instead of head of the penis. Researchers
speculate phytoestrogens may be responsible. Phytoestrogens are
abundantly found in soy products, a staple in vegetarian diets, and can
mimic the female hormone estrogen.
  Researchers also found that mothers who took iron supplements
during pregnancy doubled the risk of delivering a boy with this birth
defect. And women who had the flu during the first trimester also showed
a risk three times greater for giving birth to a boy with hypospadias.
  These findings are based on the study of 7,928 boys; there were 51
cases of hypospaidas. Researchers found no evidence to suggest alcohol
consumption or smoking affected the risk of hypospadias. The study is
published in the January issue of BJU International, a journal of the
British Association of Urological Surgeons.

Rachel