From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 16:11:47 -0600
On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 15:07:33 -0600, Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Maybe for some reason I have higher fat requirements than most people -
> my metabolism isn't in the best shape, although it's a lot better than
> it was.  But I'm absolutely certain that it was lack of fat that was
> doing it, and not in any way related to ketosis.  And the lack of fat
> was solely down to following Cordain's recommendation of eating lean
> meat.  Hence (a) my cautious attitude to his interpretation of a paleo
> diet and (b) my almost fanatical habit of reminding anyone embarking on
> a paleo (or low carb) diet to EAT FAT.

I think my metabolism is like that too; My favorite breakfast these days
is 2 slices
chemical-free bacon and 1 oz walnuts.  Must be 70% fat or more.  It's very
satisfying and
keeps me going till lunch.  I eat the chicken skin, turkey skin, the fat
on the outside of roasts, etc., while my husband avoids these things.
Ugggh, he says, fat!  I eat the dark meat, he eats the light.

Years ago I went on an unwise low-fat vegetarian diet (this is
pre-paleo).  I lost very little weight, was hungry every minute of the
day, and showed up with gluten
intolerance (celiac disease).  Since I was alert to it, I managed to
diagnose it
before I completely lost my power of digestion, and have been eating
gluten-free since.
Too many no-fat starches, especially pretzels, just did me in.

I read (who was it?)'s book that said only fat makes fat, you can eat just
as much carbs as you like and you will never gain an ounce.  I think the
name of the book was "The 10% Solution", and it really changed my
life--for the worse.  I'm sure that book was responsible for a lot of
obesity; it started the food manufacturers making all those no-fat
snacks ("eat all you like and never gain weight").  Fat-free chocolate
cakes, boxes of
cookies, it was just insanity.  And it has somehow gone into the folk
culture, even
now.  You never see "saturated fat" in popular print without the obligatory
"artery-clogging" in front of it.  I wonder how long it will take to
restore good sense
to nutrition.

	Lynnet