Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:53:00 -0800
Hi John, I didn't take your response as an attack at all. I hope you
don't take this or anything I've written as an attack on you.

Where I'm coming from...

My colon health library consist of a measly three questionable
references. _Colon Health: ..._ by Norman Walker, D.Sc., Ph.D.; _Tissue
Cleansing through Bowel Management_ by Bernard Jensen D.C.,
Nutritionist; and _The Colon Health Handbook_ by Robert Gray (who
works/ed as director of Food For Health Institute. I believe this place
is mentioned in Diet for a Small Planet, can't verify this.) It's been a
while since I've read any of them. They are not rooted in study data but
experience. Jensen worked in sanitariums (I don't think any place else
would have let him in ;-) ) from what I understand, for ~ 50yrs as he
says, "treating over 300,000 patients." While these people are not
traditional, I ask you, what traditional medicine is researching bowel
health? And do you really find traditional practioners all that
concerned with your health? Also, admittedly it's an icky subject. You'd
fall over dead if you saw the pictures in Jensen's book. You would also,
I think, become a believer. The pictures are so graphic of what can come
out of a colon that I'm shocked *every* time I see them. One thing is
often found: a very long mucus lining.

A caveat, from my experience (which is mainly limited to me) I would
caution that anything you do that is uncomfortable, mentally or
physically, should come under question. This includes fasts, quick
changes in eating habits, colonics, cleanses, engaging in medical
studies (like phen/fen, I wouldn't), and education ;-).

What you can expect from a source... I dearly love Morehouse and his
_Total Fitness in thirty minutes a week_, but he suggests you hop as a
possible aerobic activity. I know that I'm not the only one who would
break or sprain their foot/ankle if they started hopping all of a
sudden. But except for this he is credible not only from a credential
stand point but from the my experience with his suggestions stand point.
I find Gray pretty credible from an experience stand point. And there
are some things that just sound right when you hear them like Audette's
saying, "the best physical activities are the ones that allow you to
develop a stronger awareness of and relationship with your world."
Doesn't this make you want to run out front and get to know your world?

I suffer from overweight, asthma, hayfever, candida and hyperinsulinemia
and possibly they are connected and that connection is an immune system
break down from adrenal exhaustion. I wonder seriously about bowel
nonhealth as contributing to my health problems. I was fed nothing but
pure junk food as a child. I was raised to believe everything I was told
including the four food groups and doctors know best. I no longer
believe in doctors except for surgery, fractures, and physicals. I no
longer believe in the four food group or seven food group eating plans.
I don't really know what to believe any more, so I have begun to limit
my belief system to my experience and what seems to come from good data
and credible authorities. For one thing I believe adding stripped fiber
to your diet can cause more harm than good.

Gray's booklet is credible to me. He does promote vegetarianism in that
he promotes eating non-mucous forming foods. Unless your system is
really messed up (you aren't in tune to it) you'll notice that when you
eat dairy you get mucous at the back of your throat. The back of your
throat is just the beginning of the long journey that is the alimentary
tract. According to Gray foods in the order of mucous formation are
listed: dairy, meat and eggs, soy beans, pulses, grains, and oily seeds.
He does have products to sell, but what they are, aren't listed in the
book.

So my concern, because I know he's right about mucous is the effect of
meat and eggs. Is he right, are they inevitably mucoid forming? Or is it
just a problem of food combining gone wrong resulting in restricted
digestion? I'm trying to determine this, now. I know I'm not going
enough, not enough volume, not enough times a day (two). Is the body
prepared to handle this? Is the volume very different when you eat
mostly high protein foods? my guess to the latter questions is I don't
think so.

This is getting a little long so I'll respond specifically in another
msg.

Micke