From:
Louise Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:02:07 -0500
Hey Paleo folk,

Sorry for the interruption. I have a new keyboard now and ready to
continue...

The main point I was trying to make regarding my hesitation about
butchering the beautiful elk doe was that I realize now that when I
made
the decision to become a carnivore, I repressed my feelings about the
fact
that I LOVE ANIMALS. Even though I had not realized it, I had
disassociated
the animal from the meat I eat. Loving animals and eating them did not
go
together in my heart. My head was OK with it. I enjoy eating meat, I
need
meat to be healthy, ergo, I will eat it. I really had not resolved my
belief in the sanctity of life with ingesting flesh foods. Life is
sacred.
To take a life because you have need of it is no small thing. I had
forgotten the reverence I once felt toward all living creatures, which
must
extend to the meat we eat. Not to say I will give up eating meat, but
I do
want to be more grateful. My ancestors had this down, and I have
ignored my
heritage in this regard (thanking and honoring the animal and the
Great
Spirit for the sacrifice.) I didn't need to change what I am doing, as
much
as my attitude about doing it. The reverence, gratitude, and the
acknowledgement that I am taking a life, for my own purposes, and that
life
is precious.

That was what was missing for me. I have resolved not to live in
denial,
but with full recognition and gratitude of what I am taking and be
responsible for it.

Sitting out there in the rain, tears streaming down my cheeks, talking
the doe, apologizing to her and thanking her, I had a major epiphany
that I
doubt I will ever forget again. She spoke to me and I just wanted to
share
that.

Louise
Cherokee again