From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2012 13:16:30 -0800
Hi Neil,
Your avoidance of the religion/evolution topic seems very sensible.

In general, I think that our ancestors who left Africa between 75,000 and
83,000 years ago had already developed much of their gastrointestinal
tracts. But we see a number of variations that have evolved since. Retention
of lactase is one. It happened among pastoral cultures. Some of have split
common bile ducts, where bile is emptied into the small intestine at two
separate locations. I have been unable to find whether these are associated
with cultures in which more fat was consumed and would appreciate further
information on this topic. On a smaller scale, I work with people who want
to lose weight. Part of what my clients are asked to do is email daily
measurements of their resting blood pressure and pulse, urinary ketones,
weight, fasting glucose, and a number of other measurements. While a high
fat, ketogenic diet works for many, there are some who require different
approaches. I suspect that most of these differences in needs reflect their
genetic backgrounds and other health issues. Even among those who fare well
on the high fat, ketogenic diet there are enormous variations in carb
tolerance and protein tolerance. These suggest variations that have
developed in the ~80,000 years since most of the world's population left
Africa. The same time frame would have facilitated adaptations among
Africans as well.

I enjoyed The Vegetarian Myth too. It provided a unique insight into the
vegan/vegetarian perspective.

As for the grains winning, you might be right. But there is a small pocket
of information that suggests that about 80% of learning disabled children
experience significant improvements on a gluten free diet. Since learning
disabilities afflict about 10% of the population, that would suggest that
about 8% of our children would benefit from avoiding gluten. And those
numbers/percentages may be growing. Similarly, about 1% of the population
will have celiac disease and another ~12% will mount IgG reactions to
gluten. Alessio Fasano at the U. of Maryland has recently identified a
separate, innate reaction to gluten experienced by 6% of the population and
he claims that there is no overlap with the selective antibody reactions.
The net result is that somewhere between 21% and 27% of our children are
being harmed by gluten alone. While this information will take time to
emerge (and perhaps be refined to a smaller number) I doubt that parents
will fail to act on their children's behalf if/when they see that there is
something close to a 25% chance that their child could be healthier and
happier on a gluten free diet. You may be correct, and the grains may win,
but I'm hanging onto my faith in humanity that says that we will relinquish
grains when we realize how much they harm us.

I absolutely agree with your position on bench marks. They are based on the
assumption that the general population is healthy.

I will look up "Sex at Dawn". Thanks for the suggestion.
best wishes,
Ron