From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:35:09 +0900
> Yes, Tom, there are certain wildlife that are returning. But the reason has
> nothing to do with slowing population or any recovery  by intention.

The intention is irrelevant, the fact is wildlife is returning.

> Forestry on the scale that once denuded nearly all of the great eastern
> forests has simply moved to other places. One ot eh favorite is Russia's
> spruce forests. They are being destroyed now like the ones in the NE US were
> 100 years ago. They are just out of sight.

Russia is economically 100 years behind the west, it is not
surprising, though sad, that they are acting the way they do. What
countries are the main consumers of this wood? As they develop they
will follow the pattern of the rest of the world, and begin to protect
the environment more.

 And the
> US population as gone from about 180 million when I was a kid to nearly 300
> million. If kids don't die at the reate they did 100 years ago, that makes
> for more of us. This 120 million growth spurt in 50 years is not from
> immigration alone. We are still producing too many people.

The baby boom. My Mom had 5. We kids average only 1.9 each. Just like
everyone else in America and the developed world. "We" are not
producing too many people, though you might argue that our parents
did. The change took only a single generation, and that change is
happening now in almost every country on Earth. Birthrates are falling
nearly everywhere, even in the third world.