From:
David Karas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 21:36:07 -0800
Justin Hasselman wrote:

> Could someone please tell me what the rules are for eating raw meat?  I
> buy whole free-range chickens from the heatlth food store -- can I eat
> these raw?  What about salmonilla (spelling?) poisoning or parasites?
> If chicken is a no-no, then what about free-range emu or red meat?

I buy most of my meat at Wild Oats and Whole Foods. Both claim their
meat is hormone and antibiotic free. I age my meat by placing it on a
plate uncovered in the refrigerator. It forms a crust on the outside. I
cut off pieces and eat them as is. I sometimes keep meat as long as
three weeks with no problems. I have eaten raw chicken legs from Wild
Oats raw. I haven't had any problems with parasites in the three years
that I have been eating raw meat. I haven't tried emu or ostrich.