From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 05:04:08 -0500
On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 11:24:23 -0500, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>.. But total carbohydrate matters too, since any
>carbohydrate in excess of what the body can use at a given time
>is converted to saturated fat, increasing the SFA load that the
>cells have to deal with.

That's not exactely true.
Carbohydrate are also converted to the quick carbohydrate storage: glycogen.
It holds about 1500kcal and is quickly remobilized within 24-48 hours.
The uptake takes only 2-3 hours , normally.
And the rest of the time the short time storage should well be capable to
supply adequate levels. In the absence of insulin and in glucagon time.

However I feel that for many persons the mechanism of releasing this short
time glucose mechanism doesn't work properly.
Why should one have cravings for something sweet, only a few hours after a
meal, or in the morning, after sleep?

If short term glucose release doesn't work properly, this may lead into a
vicious circle.
- if it is not emtied, it can't take up more incomeing glucose (prolonging
 insulin time)
- it will create cravings for new carb food after a few hours,to prevent
 hypoglycemie. But new food will re-elevate insulin of course.
  Prolonging insulin time.

Keeping the insuling time of the 24 hours low really looks like a major
goal. fat deposits are only made when inulin is up. Good prostaglandins are
made only when insulin is down.

Whatever the reason, that this glucose from glycogen doesn't work properly.
I know, that this requires vitamin B6 and zink to work.

..

Your remarks on the glycemic index of various food items are striking.

Amadeus Schmidt-Philipp

See: http://www.zonehome.com/met/metglucose.htm  point 2.
on glucose short time mechanism.