From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 10:17:33 -0600
Paul Sand wrote:

> I've noticed that being on Paleo/lowcarb diet ... My energy is more steady,
> while
> being on a high carb diet I used to be very hyper with short bursts of
> energy.
> It definitely makes sense when you look at the way the body handles
> protein/fat vs. carbs as energy sources but I wonder if it is a common
> reaction?

For those of us with reactive hypoglycemia, one of the biggest benefits of
paleo low-carb is the complete absence of blood sugar crashes, and a more
even supply of energy.  This has certainly been true for me.

> When on a quit low carbs (20-30 a day) I am  going into ketosis very easily.
> I just wonder if this means that my body cannot cope on a low carbs regime
> or just an opposite (that it easily utilises fat/protein as an energy
> source)?

Yes, ketosis indicates that you easily use fat as an energy source.  The body
will
try to rid itself of extra ketones through the urine, sweat and breath.  If this

does not suffice, then it will produce insulin to slow down ketosis.  If you're
trying to lose weight, you don't want this to happen.  So drink Lots of water
to flush it out.  (If you're diabetic and can't produce any insulin, you can get
into
ketoacidosis, a really bad state which can be fatal. )  What I've read from
other posters is that you ideally want to be in mild ketosis.  If you're
already too thin, then you  might want to step up the carbs just a little.

Lynnet