From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 08:50:55 -0500
From: "Craig Miles" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 11:41 PM
Subject: Re: Zero Carb Paleo

> Wolfgang Lutz and Christian Allan in Life Without Bread say it
> should
> be between 70 and 90 in normal individuals.
> Over 100 is a sign of things not being right.
>
> Regards,
> Craig.

I remember when my dad first got his diagnosis of type 2 diabetes in
the 90s and got his blood sugar tester. We all had a big pancake and
syrup breakfast, and then an hour later we all used his sugar tester.
His was high--don't remember what, but mine and my wife's were
somewhere around 70 to 85, and we weren't even paleo eaters or
low-carbers: just reasonably healthy and active thirty-somethings. I
guess, according to Taubes, our insulin response had kicked in even
before we started eating, and quickly mopped up the blood sugar,
stowing it away. Just the smell of food starts the insulin response, I
think he says. Which is why diet sodas are troublesome. Even though
they don't have any calories, they still stimulate insulin response
from the sweetness, and create hunger cravings.