From:
P & L Ventura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 18:26:44 -0400
Hi Folks.

I have this local butcher (he's our only one within range)
who is hesitant to give me the variety meats from the lambs
an beef I order from him.  He says, "The government is funny
about brains 'n' spleens 'n' stuff like that.  Livers and
kidneys are okay."  One can only eat so much liver.

Anyway, I just emailed the USDA food saftey department
querying about this.  The butcher drawled some indication
that it had to do with butchering regulations or something.
I got the feeling, though, that it was just a pain in the
butt for him to gut the creatures whilst sparing the fragile
innards.  Maybe skulls dull the bandsaw blade - I dunno.
Anyone know about this?

Also, anyone know of any reasonable mail-order folks that do
organ meats, preferably grass-fed?  (I know Gunthorp's will
if I ask, and Jamison's will but they're prices are
outrageous.)  Jamison's say brains don't keep well if
frozen.  Can anyone tell me more about this?  Has anyone had
brains that were prepared after being frozen?  Sweetbreads
are fatty, and they're okay after being frozen.

Craving variety,
Lois