From:
Stan Marks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:05:40 -0600
Sorry for the delay, Jean-Claude, but I just got in from three days of deer
hunting...unsuccessfully, I'm afraid. :/

on 11/23/03 10:07 PM, Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry at
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>> Jean-Claude, I'm sorry, but that makes no sense at all! The raw fat of our
>> whitetail deer cools to a hard, waxy state. (In fact, I'm sure that the
>> early settlers must have found it indispensable for making candles!)
>
> have you tried to eat it in that state .

No, it has never occurred to me to do so, before...but that was before I
discovered the paleo concept. Perhaps I will try it that way, if I get the
chance.

>> When it is cooked, it does melt and can be quite tasty, but when it starts to
>> cool off, it becomes quite unpalatable.
>
> rendered fats are allways pasty no matter what is your need for it .

Yes...in fact, the ribeye steak I grilled for my supper last night proved
that point, as some of the cooled fat had a definitely pasty consistency...
BUT, the beef fat did not stick to my mouth when it had cooled off the way
that venison fat does, and I've never experienced that with *any* animal
fats, other than venison fat. Can you offer an explanation for this?

>> In the mouth, the fat becomes very pasty and sticky and coats the inside of
>> the mouth and the teeth. I cannot imagine how having too much saturated fats
>> in my diet could possibly change that, unless you are saying that saturated
>> fats have some effect on body temperature! Even if that were the case, it
>> couldn't possibly affect body temperature enough to melt this fat in one's
>> mouth!
>
> nothing to do with temperature , there is some thing in the saliva and
> digestives juices of someone in need of saturated fats that stop the fat to be
> pasty . as soon enough is eaten the saliva don't stop the fat to be glued to
> your mouth .

Okay, I've never heard of that before. If it is true that the composition of
saliva can affect the way that the fat is broken down in the mouth, that
would make some sense. Can you cite any references to that effect?

> for this to be experienced first create a need for saturated fats
> second the fat have to be undenatured ( not heated ) anyway fats eaten at body
> temperature(  fat that had not cooled off , just after the kill  especially )
> is way more fluid , eaten direct from the fridge is not the best .
>
>> Sorry, Jean-Claude, but I'm afraid that I'm just not quite *that* dedicated
>> to the paleo regimen, yet. ;)
>
> what is scary about eating marrow in its natural state .?
>
> AAAHHH the weight of culture !

I suppose so. ;)